Construction began in late 2021 and will be completed approximately three years later. Crews are working in multiple locations simultaneously. Construction will occur in all three Seminole Heights neighborhoods: South Seminole Heights, Old Seminole Heights and Southeast Seminole Heights.
The dates listed below are tentative and subject to weather and unforeseen conditions.
West Crest and Florida Avenue
- Box culvert installation on West Crest from the river to Highland will continue through early June. Stormwater inlets will be connected as the box culvert installation progresses.
- A new stormwater system should be in place on Crest from Highland to the river by early June.
- Box culvert installation on Crest from Highland to Florida is scheduled for June through late July. New stormwater inlets will be connected to the finished box culvert sections in this area from June through July as well.
- Roadway restoration on Crest will begin by the end of May with new curb and asphalt installed by the end of August.
- Work on Florida Avenue will begin in mid-May. Florida will be closed between Crest and Frierson for approximately one week for the installation of water mains.
- Florida Avenue will be closed again in mid-June for two to three weeks to install box culvert and 72-inch stormwater pipe from Crest to Frierson.
Tunnel and Caracas
- Work on either side of I-275 at Caracas and Taliaferro will continue through mid-May as crews grout the pipeline, demobilize and temporarily restore the intersection of Taliaferro and Caracas.
- By late July, crews will be installing 72-inch stormwater pipe on Caracas between Central and I-275.
- Crews began installing box culvert on Central Avenue from Frierson to Giddens in mid-April.
- Once complete with the box culvert, they will start installing 72-inch diameter stormwater pipe from Frierson south to Caracas in late May.
- In late April or early May, crews will begin installing new drinking water pipelines on East Henry Avenue from Central to North Cherokee Avenue and on North Cherokee Avenue north of East Henry.
Construction typically occurs on weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Night and weekend work may be needed on occasion for major road crossings or connections. If night or weekend work is required, crews will provide advance notification to residents to minimize inconvenience.