Residents have asked us about the significance of different flags throughout the job site as well as stakes with ribbons attached. These items are not trash, but in fact are important indicators for the project team. There are different colored marking flags to signify different underground utilities:
- Yellow – indicates gas, oil or petroleum lines
- Orange – indicates telecommunication, cable or fiber optic lines; these are placed by the communications companies
- Blue – indicates a drinking water line
- Purple – indicates a reclaimed water link
- Pink – used to mark survey areas
Stakes with ribbons of all different colors are used by the surveyors throughout the course of construction to ensure alignment of different utilities being installed as well as the roadway and curb being installed. Some of these may indicate the route, and others may indicate a surveyor’s benchmark, which is a reference point used repeatedly to check measurements.
All flags and stakes should be left in place and protected until the project is restored. Upon final restoration, all flags and stakes will be removed.